In TCM, the healing powers of nature play a special role. To stimulate the process of energetical balance in the body, medicinal herbs are applied in a vast range of combinations and doses.
The knowledge about plants and the ways to use them in nature-based medicine can be found in almost all cultures. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, however, the effects and applications of medicinal plants and herb mixtures have been analyzed and documented for centuries.
Nature can help – knowledge about medicinal herbs
In TCM, the use of herbs supports a range of indications and forms a unique type of therapy. In it, the recipes, doses, and areas of application are adapted to the individual disease and its symptoms. At every step of the healing process, we profit from a great reservoir of expert knowledge and attention to details in natural medicine.
In TCM, the qualities of a herbal essence are assessed according to the following criteria:
- behavior when exposed to different temperatures
- effective direction / area of application
- relation to the functional circles of the five elements or to the energy lines
Indication and areas of application of Chinese Herbal Therapy
Practitioners of Chinese Herbal Therapy proceed from the assumption that the individual components of the herb mixture work in synergy, meaning that they interact and have an unique effect on the body.
Therefore, single herbs are administered very rarely. In most cases, the healing effect comes from a combination of a number of ingredients.
Herbal medicine mixtures are used to treat various acute as well as chronic diseases. Areas of application include:
- gastro-intestinal diseases (gastritis, irritable bowel, Crohn’s disease, etc.)
- infectious diseases (bronchitis, flu, diarrhea, etc.)
- dermatological diseases (acne, eczemas, neurodermatitis, etc.)
- gynecological and urogenital diseases (pregnancy disorders, myomas, impotence, sterility, etc.)
- psychosomatic diseases
- child diseases
Another disclaimer: government agencies regulating pharmaceuticals also regularly check the current contaminant loads of the herb mixtures imported from China.